Pages

Monday, May 4, 2009

For God, Country and the Thrill of It

Purchased this book, about the WASP, online, and didn't really know what I was getting. The cover says, "Photographics portraits and text by Anne Noggle."

The problem is... there is no text! (Well, there's a brief history of the WASP, written by a woman who lived it, but for the pilots themselves....zilch! Each page of this oversize coffee table book features an elderly woman WASP... and her name... and her class... and that is it! How about a little biography of each one, for goodness sake!

It was worth what I paid for it, which was about $7, but certainly wouldn't have been worth purchasing at full-price, considering what it could have been.

I've brought along a few women-in-aviation books with me that I no longer need. When I reach the Women's International Air and Space Museum, I'll donate them. They have a reading room and like to have 3 copies of each book. Any more than that, I guess they sell. So, either way, these books will do some good. I hope that they will stay in the reading room....

Wa-ell...dang.. just had a thought. I should have created a Donation bookplate, with my youflygirl website URL on it, to get a bit of my own good out of the donation! I wonder if I should nip into a Kinkos and do something in that regard.

The photos
Mary Rosso Lewis : 43-4
Anne Berry Lesnikowski : 44-2
Marie Mountain Clark : 44-1
Florence Miller Watson (WAFS)
Lois Hollingsworth Ziler : 43-3
Yvonne C. Pateman : 43-5
Harriet Urban White : 43-5
Lorraine Zillner Rodgers : 44-2
Shirley COndit deGonzales : 43-6
Ruth Shafer Fleisher : 44-4
Jacqueline Twitchell Morgan : 44-5
Frances Thompson Hunt : 43-7
Suzanne DeLano Parish : 44-6
Dorothy Swain Lewis : 44-5
Lois Brooks Hailey : 43-3
Francie Meisner Park : 44-10
Nona Highfill-Holt Pickering : 44-7
Bernice Falk Haydu : 44-7
Iris Heillman Schupp : 43-8
Eileen Kealy Worden : 44-1
Marguerite Hughes Killen : 44-8
Anne Noggle : 44-1
Dorathea Rexroad Scatena : 44-6
Lilian Glezen Way: 44-9
Mary Regalbuto Jones: 44-9
Betty Stagg Turner : 44-9
Rosa Charlyne Creger : 44-10
Betty Martin Riddle : 44-9
Dora Dougherty Strother : 43-3
Barbara Hershey Tucker : 44-9
Joyce Sherwood Secciani : 43-3
Violet Thurn Cowden : 43-4
Evelyn L. Trammell : 43-6
Mary Estill Fearey : 43-8
Elizabeth Briscoe Stone : 44-9
Yvonne Ashcraft Wood : 43-7
Janet Wayne Tuch : 44-9
Alma Newsom Fornal : 44-5
Kate Lee Harris Adams : 44-2
Helen M. Schaefer : 43-4
Hazel Armstrong Turner : 43-5
Geraldinze Bowen Olinger : 44-7
Ida F. Carter : 44-1
Joan Smyth McKesson : 44-7
Grey Allison Hoyt Dunlap : 44-4
Mary Retick Wells : 44-6
Pearl Brummett Judd : 44-8
Shirley Chase Kruse : 44-6
Bonnie Dorsey Shinski : 44-8

No comments: