Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

OT: Carl Sandburg Birthplace: Quotation Walk

CLICK ON THE PHOTOS TO SEE ENLARGED VERSIONS WHICH SHOW THE QUOTES MORE CLEARLY

Visit their official website: http://www.sandburg.org/



Believe it or not, I thought today was Sunday and tomorrow was Memorial Day. That's when you get when you've been traveling for 25 days.

I've got lots of aviation photos to share from Dayton, but I need to work on the text of those. But thought I'd share the quotes from Carl Sandburg in the Quotation Walk, behind his birth home in Galesburg, Illinois.





I made a side-trip there today, but it was after 5 and the place was closed. (It was also closed because it's only open Sat and Sun due to budget cuts, but that's another story!)

I was driving down West 80 when I saw the sign advertising the Birthplace, so I got off and the highway and onto Main Street. It was about 5 miles away, and there were a lot of signs to follow to get there. It was not in the most affluent part of town... lower middle class, I think.

It's just a small house - I couldn't go in but it was clearly not very big. Checking out its website, though, there's a gift store there, and some videos giving background on Sandburg, and so on.

Here are the quotations... as you can see the grass hadn't been mowed since last week, properly, and some of the incisions suffer from weathering...if you want to see Sandberg's birthplace, the time to go is NOW.





(This text unreadable, I'm afraid)
















The ashes of Sandburg and his wife are buried under this rock.

No comments: